Tuesday, October 6, 2009

There are no goodies and baddies!

For the past few nights me and my friends have been watching Band of Brothers. It is a television series that was shown in 2001 based on the book by the late stephen E Ambrose.

The series depicts the epic journey made by the paratrooper unit from their training camp in Georgia, right through to their D-Day triumph. The paratroopers are dropped behind enemy lines in 1944 and fight numerous battles across Europe until they eventually capture Hitler's mountain eyrie at Berchtesgarden.

Whilst watching this I was always asking who are the goodies and who are the baddies and that's when I realised that actually there are no goodies and baddies, everyone can choose a team that they want to win but when it comes down to it the men fighting are all innocent. These men are all in the same boat having to fight for their country whether it means they come home dead or alive. I had never thought of it like that before, these men do not want to kill each other it's just something they had to do.

In episode 3 we see a character called Blithe who is an American soldier shoot and kill a German soldier. This is a very emotional scene as Blithe is scared of being at war and after he realises he has killed someone he is very upset. This helped me to realise how hard it must of been to fight in a war not knowing if you will make it out alive and having to live with the fact you have killed many people.

1 comment:

  1. I love band of brothers, I am so addicted to it! I think we should have a night of just band of brothers...what do you say holly moore?

    ReplyDelete